Do you have what it takes…
… to join the League of Extraordinary Penpals (LEP)?!
Well, let’s take a quiz. We promise it won’t hurt and it will be very quick – we’ll only ask you a few questions:
1. Do you think that writing a letter snuggled under a blanket with a cup of tea and a cat by your side is a better way to spend your Friday night than hanging out at the bar?
2. Do you prefer reading a letter and a book on a Saturday night rather than going out dancing?
3. Are you an introvert who hates small talk with strangers but quickly opens up in a letter to a new friend and loves chatting about anything & everything?
4. Do people look at you strangely when you tell them you have penpals? (Do they sometimes ask why you don’t keep in touch via email instead?)
5. Are you sad that your family and friends don’t get excited when you tell them about new stamp releases, the awesome stationery that’s on sale online or the rainbow colored pens you just purchased?
6. Have you ever squealed or done a happy dance by your mailbox when you realized there was a letter addressed to you inside?
7. Do you love penpalling because it's just like chatting with a good friend over coffee plus you get to use pretty stationery?!
Bonus question: Do you wish you could be a superhero and have superpowers?
If you answered yes to most of these questions, congratulations, you definitely have what it takes to be a LEPster, LEPtian, LEPeep or LEPer (we’re not contagious, I promise).
And good news: you are not alone! There’s a whole bunch of us from all around the world (560+), and we’d love to talk about stamps and stationery with you.
So what exactly is LEP?
Basically, LEP is the most amazing online community of snail mailing, animal loving, book reading (but possibly slightly crazy) letter writers on the planet.
Why crazy? Well, we sometimes have strange discussions. Some of us are scared of craft herpes (glitter), others would like to adopt miniature elephants, some members have started a Filofax or typewriter or washi tape collection, and some of us like to talk about boobs… a lot. Please be 18 and older if you join - we don’t want anyone’s parents being mad at us for talking about boobies.
Oh and please don’t join if the word “boobies” offends you. Or “fuck”. Some of our members think that swearing is an art!
Moving on now… Where were we? Oh yeah, LEP. LEP is a fabulous penpal club, and one of the most supportive communities around.
But why would you join LEP? Easy. Because we have a monthly newsletter filled with articles and swaps and giveaways and printables and lots of other cool stuff. Because we have a very active (private) Facebook group where 450+ members love to do random acts of kindness & giveaways & personal swaps (as well as post pictures of beautiful incoming and outgoing mail). Because we also have a book club, a fountain pen club, a mail art club, a yarn club, a tea and baking club, a flea market…
And then there's our secret weapon: a database of more than 500 current, active members, complete with addresses and lists of interests! So if you’re looking for new penpals, just imagine the fun you could have, browsing through the database – it’s practically like going to all you can eat sushi! (Did I ever mention I love eating sushi? I didn’t pick Super Sushi as my superhero name because I enjoyed fishing, contrary to popular belief.)
But most importantly, you should join because we want to write you a letter. We want to show you that we care, that you're not alone and that people on the other side of the world will make time for you, because you're worth it.
But who are we?
Just picture a big group of crazy cat ladies who drink tea, read books and write letters, and that’s pretty much us. For more accuracy, you can add a few dog ladies, and throw in a few men. Yep, that’s LEP for you! We’re very friendly and we're pretty sure you’ll love us. We dare you to become a member!
If you want to learn even more about us and about LEP, please head over to the FAQ.